Who We Are
Gateshead Youth Council is an organisation that is forward thinking, has been in existence since 1979 and is youth centred, youth focused and youth led.
It targets young people aged 11-25 and carries a broad remit which is reflected in the diverse range of youth issues and activities that it is involved in on a local, regional, national and international basis.
The full name is Gateshead Borough Youth Organisations Council but is known as Gateshead Youth Council (GYC). It is a registered Charity with a voluntary board of Trustees and Chairperson.
GYC develops projects and services, and involves itself in issues concerning Young People. Its aim is to continue to be a channel for organisations to express views and opinions collectively to Local Authorities or Government on issues concerning them. Speaking as one voice can have a greater impact and GYC provides this forum. It also encourages those working with young people to develop skills, share resources and broaden experience so as to assist their community and organisation. GYC is an organisation, which responds directly to the issues of organisations and young people in order to fulfil their needs.
What We Do
• Represent the interests of young people and their changing needs.
• Meet the needs and aspirations of young people by strengthening and supporting the work of their organisations.
• Co-ordinate, to prevent duplication of effort.
• Improve the effectiveness of organisations in delivering quality youth work.
• Raise public awareness of the work of the voluntary sector.
• Provide and promote positive images of young people.
• Establish partnerships with all involved in supporting work with young people.
• Provide a forum for debate and discussion.
• Raise public awareness of the issues that affect young people.
• Support the long-term development of young people.
• Advocate on behalf of member organisations and young people.
To view our Weekly Round-up click here
To become a member of GYC, download the membership form, and send it in with a cheque for £25.00.